Help your sixth graders master key math skills through fun, hands-on math activities in these 12 centers. Each center focuses on a concept tied to a math domain, such as numbers, operations, and measurement.
Help your sixth graders master key math skills, and provide differentiated math practice through fun, hands-on activities in 12 centers. Each full-color center focuses on a skill from a math domain, such as numbers and counting, operations, geometry, and probability and statistics.
The easy-to-assemble centers are stored in pocket folders, making them easy to use at a table, desk, or quiet area in the classroom. After a teacher or classroom aide models how to use a center, students can complete the activity independently, in pairs, or with the teacher, who may use the task to informally assess a student’s understanding.
Each of the 12 centers includes:
• full-color center mats and task cards
• an overview with lesson objectives
• a student direction page that explains the center activity
• a response form or written practice activity
• a center checklist to record each student’s progress
Take It to Your Seat: Math Centers has been updated to address the new advanced standards and provides:
• an increase in the variety and complexity of activities to practice each skill in alignment with current standards.
• leveled tasks within some centers so that tasks progress in difficulty.
• an illustrated math concept or rule for every center to support visual learners and keep the focus on the targeted math concept or skill.
The 12 centers cover the following sixth grade math skills:
• Understand unique math vocabulary for words and terms that describe numbers
• Use place value understanding to round numbers and make estimates
• Solve word problems using ratio (function) tables and unit rates
• Understand percent as a fraction of 100
• Apply understanding of positive and negative integers to solve word problems
• Build fluency dividing multi-digit numbers
• Extend understanding of division to divide with decimal fractions
• Multiply and divide fractions and mixed numbers
• Use the standard order of operations to solve multistep equations
• Use variables in algebraic expressions and equations
• Find the perimeters and areas of complex figures
Probability and Statistics
• Use graphs and plots to organize and display statistical data
This resource contains teacher support pages, reproducible student pages, and an answer key.