Build strong reading comprehension skills for 1st graders with close reading, vocabulary, comprehension, and writing activities that support Common Core rigor. Downloadable home–school connection activities are included to extend learning at home.
A comprehensive Common Core resource for informational text! Build strong reading comprehension skills for first grade students with close reading, vocabulary, comprehension, and writing activities that support the rigor of Common Core.
Each of the 10 units includes a nonfiction minibook and supporting activities that are easy to scaffold, such as:
· Picture dictionary: content vocabulary and Words to Know list
· I Read and Understand: text-dependent questions
· I Read Closely: close reading activity
· Words I Know: vocabulary activity
· I Can Write: text-based, scaffolded writing assignment
· What I Learned: writing assignment to culminate units with two-page selections
Additional teacher support includes:
· Common Core State Standards correlations provided for every unit for easy reference
· Downloadable home–school connection activities and projects to extend learning at home.
· Guided reading level to help identify appropriate texts for students
The nonfiction minibooks cover grade-level content-area topics:
We Need the Sun?
About the Wind?
Social Studies Articles
The Statue of Liberty?
Looking at the United States?
Winslow Homer, American Artist??
Maria Martinez, Native American Potter ?
George Washington Carver?
How to Make the President’s Breakfast?