Skill Sharpeners Reading series contains engaging full-color stories followed by activity pages that practice a variety of reading skills. Skill Sharpeners Reading is designed to help your child improve his or her reading skills.
Common Core Top Pick for Language and Reading Literature and Informational Text
• Conventions of Standard English
• Vocabulary Acquisition and Use
Reading Literature and Informational Text
• Key Ideas and Details
• Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
Skill Sharpeners Reading, Grade 5 provides 12 motivating fiction and nonfiction stories. For example:
• "The Tiger and the Jackals"
• "Old Bragwynn the Pirate"
• "How Shalbus Egbert Bested the Bear "
• "Tracking Tornadoes"
• "Joy Adamson: Living with Lions"
Activity pages include:
• comprehension questions
• a vocabulary exercise for every story
Other skills addressed include the following:
• critical thinking
• interpreting graphic information
• reading with expression,
• analyzing characters