Support your 1st graders in close reading practice that supports Common Core methodology. Each unit pairs leveled text sets and provides vocabulary, oral discussion, and writing activities. Downloadable home–school connection activities are included.
Support your first-grade students in close reading of nonfiction and fiction texts with practice that supports Common Core methodology.
Each unit contains two related reading selections in a minibook format. The themes reflect first-grade science and social studies topics and are focused around a Big Question. For example, Can I live without my bones? (Big Question) connects “How Bones Work” (a nonfiction article) and “Jacob’s Bones” (a fictional story).
The activities in each unit help students:
· Learn and apply academic vocabulary in context
· Participate in oral close reading discussions
· Answer comprehension questions
· Write to a prompt with the help of a graphic organizer
This resource includes:
· Seven robust units that include a unit assessment with discussion of the topic, texts, and Big Question, as well as a writing prompt.
· Downloadable home–school connection activities and projects that extend learning at home
· Common Core correlations for every unit for easy reference.
· Minibooks of each reading selection.
Plus, the suggested learning path is easy to scaffold!