Support your 2nd graders in close reading practice that supports Common Core methodology. Each unit pairs leveled text sets and provides vocabulary, oral discussion, and writing activities. Downloadable home–school connection activities are included.
Support your second-grade students in close reading discussions of nonfiction and fiction texts with practice that supports Common Core methodology.
Each unit contains two related reading selections that reflect second-grade science and social studies topics and are focused around a Big Question. For example, Does a magnet stick to all shiny things? (Big Question) connects “What Will a Magnet Attract?” (a nonfiction article) and “Magnificent Magnets” (a fictional story).
The activities in each unit help students:
· Learn and apply academic vocabulary in context
· Participate in oral close reading discussions
· Answer comprehension questions
· Write to a prompt with the help of a graphic organizer
This resource includes:
· Eight robust units that include a unit assessment with discussion of the topic, texts, and Big Question, as well as a writing prompt.
· Downloadable home–school connection activities and projects that extend learning at home.
· Common Core correlations for every unit for easy reference.
Plus, the suggested learning path is easy to scaffold!